zondag 21 juni 2015

Squirmy Sedge & Squirmy Klinkhammer

Its pouring rain on this fathers day. Jimi Hendrix inspires me to tie some new thoughts with his lyric:

"Rainy day, dream away
Ah let the sun take a holiday
Flowers bathe an' ah see the children play
Lay back and groove on a rainy day".


Groovin on this fathers day resulted in this Squirmy Coot Sedge & Squirmy Klinkhammer. These two patterns are the first dry flies I tried tying with Squirmy worm as body material. I read earlier that this stuff floats.
So the first thing I did after opening the Squirmy legs from Flybox, was dumping it in our fish tank.....it does float!


The first experiment was a sedge wonderwing pattern. This is because fly tyer Ad Hoogenboezem pointed me recently enthusiastic on this pattern. So I used this as a base for the experiment. Before enjoying my fathers day beer present, this was the first sober sample:


With a green marker pen I simulated the eggsack at the end of the body.

I almost allways check my flies in our fish tank. This one too: the subsurface profile seems satisfactory, juicy & translucy. I expected the translucency of the squirmy legs: it worked out well.
 


To keep the slippery legs in place, I put some super glue on the hook and then wrapped the squirmy legs to the hook eye.



The next try was the Squirmy Klinkhammer...
This resulted in this sample:

Overall conclusion: the Squirmy legs/worm is a good body material for dry flies. Its floatability and translucent properties gives our dry flies something extras. I like it!

Now let the fish decide.....and let them groove on this fly on another rainy day!














1 opmerking: