woensdag 10 juni 2015

Super Awesome Squirmy?


Squirmie Worms, Hot Pink
Do I miss something while not having a Squirmy worm in my fly box? Since a few years, innovative Yank fly fishermen post on blogs and forums about the squirmy worm and its effectiveness. Since last year this hype hit Europe.

To be honest: I am not in to hard core plastics. But I began hesitating about making some, after reading this North Country Anglers blog. Dave Southall's alluring article (page 53) about Squirmies in Fly Fishing & Fly Tying (issue july 2015) made my indecisiveness disappear. Now I need to try it! I just ordered some at Flybox.

There are some slick materials for fly tie connoisseurs to be found. There are now also Jumbo Squirmy Wormies and Wonder Wigglies. And what about colours? There are at least nine squirmy colours at manufacturer Spirit River USA Original.

But you can make your own out of toys! Have a look at this post of Gink & Gasoline.

But the squirmy evolution continues:
This material is not just for wormies, have a look at:
* Tightline Productions: Squirminator nymph pattern (also from a toy); 
* Lucias Vasies: Squirmy nymph;
* Jim Misiura: Cat gut Pupa (body from squirmy);
* Fly Master: juicy squirmy wormy;

More squirmy evolution: perhaps a Walkers mayfly nymph made out of Squirmy wormy.

And why not a dry fly squirmy? This stuff floats!
Have a go at using this floating quirmy stuff for the body/abdomen on a Klinkhammer? A "Klink-squirmer"....

...I can't wait using the stuff for more than worms. More later.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten