zondag 1 mei 2016

The men who stare at midge !

"OMG! Dad is gonna wash his hair in the pond!" were my kids joking. This fly fisher was lying streched out on a pond dock. My face just a few cm from the fishless murky water surface. I was schizophrenically frustrated and happy at the same time. Frustrated because we found out that the pond in front of our holiday bungalow was fishless (besides one stickleback). And happy because I discovered -while staring at the water surface- a fascinating insect life just under my nose. This is a strange phenomenon. As a sort of mental escape, I start hunting for aquatic insects as soon as fishing seems hopeless. Paying attention to detail gives you always an opportunity to learn. So "every disadvantage has its advantage" (reversed quote from Johan Cruijff).


In this case I stared at the live hatching of chironomid midges, also known as buzzer, bugs, muggies (whatever). Initially my attention was drawn to some lazy khaki/light gray midges on the water surface. I thought that their arrogant demeanour had to do with the absence of fish. Staring a little longer I discovered some light khaki protruding periscopes growing out of the water.....turning into a midge. I ran for my camera! 


....more photo's and a video will follow soon.





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten